02.09.2010
After I left my blog last, I went out to a bar that was apparently celebrating Friday the 13th by having a zombie party. It was very strange, especially since we didn’t know that was why it was weird. There were actually people dressed up as zombies, and then it was playing clips from horror films while playing techno music. It reminded me of Too Much Love at First Ave.
The next morning, we went to the Old Biscuit Mill, which is a gathering of people making and selling food as well as some shops. But the food is what is really important. A lot of people seem to day drink here on the weekends, it is very different. But I had my first ostrich burger! It was delicious, and I even ate it with “rocket” which is like a lettuce medley, and caramelized onions! Being here has made me start eating vegetables, weird right?! After eating lots, we went to the beach for a little bit. I got some ice cream that tasted like icing and devoured it. I went a little ways in to the water this time, it was ice cold. It was fun running from the waves though. Then my friend Craig was standing further out than I was, and the waves crashed against each other and suddenly turned huge and got him soaking. It was really funny. I think the rest of the day was pretty relaxed. Then on Sunday, I didn’t leave my apartment trying to get some reading done.
On Mondays I am volunteering with a group called SHAWCO. There are different programs that all go into local townships and work with the kids. I am working at Mannenberg, which is a Coloured community. I was supposed to be teaching soccer, but somehow I got roped into teaching Netball, which is like basketball without a backboard and with different rules. The first game I saw of this new sport was in fact played by the girls I am supposed to be coaching. They don’t seem to mind though, they get to play the sport and be in my company. They really like my hair and like to touch it all the time because it is so soft compared to their hair. They also like the color of my eyes and my piercings. They are a really sweet group of girls, I just wish I knew what I was supposed to be teaching them!
This Wednesday, I went with a group of people from my program to go see Inception, which was a crazy movie. The theater was super small and far away from the screen. I think there were only about 12 seats in a row and only rows from A-J. Or something ridiculously small like that. The timing of when movies come out is very weird here. Some will come out at the same time as in the US, but others will be months after. Inception was one that actually came out on time. The other strange thing about the theater was that you have to reserve your seats when you buy your tickets. It is not just first come first serve. And you actually have to sit in those seats, so we got to sit front row! Haha.
Then that Thursday, I went out to eat and we got sangria with dinner, which was amazing! It was my first time having sangria and the fruit in it was wonderful. Afterwards, we went to our favorite bar, Springboks!
The weather was not so good this week, and in addition to rain, it was also really windy, so we had to postpone our weekend in Hermanus for the next weekend. Instead, Friday night we went to what was supposed to be an underground dance party, but it ended up being in the small basement of a bar called Mumbo Jumbo, (or as someone told me, Mojo Jojo). It was not as cool as it sounded.
Saturday we went to the Old Biscuit Mill and this time I split Pannekukens with some people, which were super delicious, but also called something different here. And then I got a peach with strawberry sauce and whipped cream crepe. It was good but I should have went with the classic Nutella and Banana. I think that night I stayed in and watched Blood Diamond by myself. It was weird watching that movie and knowing what South Africa is like now. Before, Leo’s accent sounded really accurate, but in reality it is way to British and just made me laugh. He also uses the word “Bru” a lot which is the S.A. version of “Bro.” Still a good movie though (and yes I did watch two Leo Dicaprio movies in a week and referenced them both in my blog haha). Sunday was another homework day.
I had two essays due this week so I spent most of my time not in classes working on those. But after some freaking out and lack of sleep, I turned them in so that’s all that matters now. On Wednesday, I went on adventure. The first by myself! I had to get my film camera fixed because it broke on the plane ride over, and I wanted to make sure that I had it for spring break. I took a cab, who didn’t know where he was going even though I brought directions, to around the area where the camera shop was supposed to be and from there had to call the number in my call history that I thought might be the store. Luckily, the number was right. The driver was able to tell the photo guy where we were, and when he didn’t understand the directions the photo guy was giving him, I took the phone and managed to figure out enough information for the driver to eventually figure it out, I got overcharged though. The photo guy even made a comment about how the cab driver didn’t seem to be the smartest. Once I finally got there (the land mark was a mural of a woman with a TV on her head), I told the cab NOT to wait for me and went in. They guy was super nice and I spent awhile talking to him. I called a different cab company for the ride home and it was much cheaper.
Thursday and Friday were more days spent in the library working on my essay. But Friday evening, we left to go to Hermanus for the weekend! The first night when we got there, we sat around a fire waiting for our Braai to be done. The food was so good, they cooked each of us a huge piece of chicken, some veggies, potatoes, garlic bread, and a steak. We just hung out for the rest of the night. Saturday, the weather was really windy unfortunately, so our plans got screwed up a little but it ended up working out. We went to the town and got a good view (and saw a few whales) from over the edge, then went to a market and ate some really good gelato. Then in the afternoon we went whale watching. Since it was so windy, the waves were HUGE and rolling. Unfortunately, a lot of people got sick but I just thought it was fun. The basement of the boat was the pukers lounge and was VERY dismal. The people were not excited to be there. But while they were being miserable, I was watching whales! There were three main ones that we spent a lot of time with. One was an albino (which is pronounced really funny here). Unfortunately, they decided they were not going to breach for us. But they were swimming with their mouths open, apparently feeding. According to the captain, this NEVER happens, in the whole time he had worked there. Whales apparently come to their home in Hermanus to breed, and while they are here they are fasting. They other months they are away are the months they go further out to sea to feed. So I have got some rare photos! But I still wish it would have breached at least once… Again we just had a pretty chill night. I decided to organize the movie collection of the Backpackers. I also played a few games of pool with one of the guys who worked there as my teammate against first two boys in my program Craig and Jack, and then against Craig and Macy. And both times, I played amazing and totally won, sinking crazy shots and usually two balls in a turn. Macy and I played a third game against Craig and the worker which didn’t go as hot…haha.
The next day was crazy. While some people went Shark Cage Diving, I went Sea Kayaking which was really fun. I ended up doing most of the work in my kayak (they were two person) which was not as fun, but it was fine. We got pretty soaked because the waves were choppy. We also got to see some whales. Afterwards we met back up with the Cage Divers and went to a place where we split up in groups (again). One group went Quad biking while the other went Paintballing. I went Quad biking, which in American, is ATVing, or fourwheeling. We went through orchards and winelands and ended at the top of a mountain which had a great view of all of Hermanus and the coast. Unfortunately I didn’t bring my camera with. Someone in my group hit a tree, but luckily it wasn’t me. I did almost tip mine over though, taking a corner too fast. Then paintballing was crazy. It was my first time ever doing it and the place was perfect for it. We played three rounds. The first two I had to be in the fortress protecting it, which was not as fun. When we finally got invaded, my friend Geoff kicked in the door and just pummeled me and another girl Emily, both of us cowering in the corner, and perhaps screaming I don’t remember. I got shot twice in the leg, one which left a nice bruise. It was funny though because it was totally a movie move and it even felt as if it were going in slow motion. The third game I got to roll around in the forest trying to get into the fortress, which was a lot more fun. But we still lost. Afterward, I still had leftover “bullets” so I got to participate in a western style shoot off. It was three against three, and another girl I was there with Glynis, was on the other team. We started 20 meters apart and each got one shot, then the other team would take 4 steps forward and take their one shot each. If you got hit, then you were out. I think on only our second time being shot at, my other teammates both got shot out and left me on my own against all three of the other team. I took my 4 steps forward, and they told me I could take 3 shots, instead of the 1. I aimed for my first shot, and someone yelled to aim lower so I did and shot the guy right in the nipple. I aimed for guy number two and grazed the top of his head. I took my third shot and hit Glynis right in both of her wrists, and I made them bleed! It was crazy. Everyone was watching and then they all cheered for me. Craig yelled “This is just like pool last night!” and he was right, both were crazy feats of luck, or as he kept insisting (which is not true if you have ever seen me actually play pool), natural talent. Overall, a very fun and accomplished day. After that we drove home and as soon as we got back I took a shower and went to bed, even though it was only 9pm.
Since, I had those papers the week before, I had an easy week this week which was nice because everyone else’s week seemed the opposite. I just have been taking it easy. On Wednesday, I had to start taking my malaria pills for my spring break trip, which was exciting! I also went back to pick up my camera. (It was fixed the next morning, I just hadn’t had time to go get it). This time I took our trusted taxi company. We also got a little lost but I knew from the week before and used the same landmark to figure out where to go and we got there a lot easier. Once I paid to get my camera back, I took a few pictures of the guy who fixed it with his wall of cameras behind him. I am excited to see what they turned out like; I missed my film camera!
Today is Thursday night and I leave for my spring break trip to Botswana, Zambia and Victoria Falls, and Zimbabwe tomorrow morning at 4:55am. I am trying to not go to sleep before the flight, so we will see how that goes. I am super excited for this trip though!
No comments:
Post a Comment